Happy Halloween everyone!
I love any excuse for a celebration. This Spiced Porridge, not only has a spooky twist but a very very healthy one too! In keeping with our HealthFoodHoney Turmeric extravaganza this super spiced scary breakfast treat is good enough to eat!This Spooky Spiced Porridge is such a deliciously healthy way to incorporate some autumnal spice into your breakfast, I’m totally addicted. It’s not just for Halloween either, with a good measure of turmeric, the ingredients of this porridge have been shown to rival the benefits of traditional drugs such as pain killers, anti-depressants and inflammation drugs to name but a few.
If you want to get super gruesome then try warming up the fruit and drizzle over some molasses for a pile of brains on top of your porridge! If you’ve never heard of or had Molasses before then I highly recommend getting some! Unsulphured blackstrap molasses is the super nutritional part of sugar cane which is removed by boiling in the production of white and brown sugar (very little of the molasses is left in “raw cane sugar” so it’s still VERY processed) Black strap molasses is full of iron, so can be used to combat anaemia. Minerals like magnesium, calcium and manganese are great for digestion and its even reported to be good for your hair and helping slow down or reverse greying (I’d maybe take that last one with a pinch of salt but its certainly packed full of vitamins and minerals so it will only do you good!) best of all its great value for money, I picked up a 740g jar of Meridian organic molasses for £3.20 at a supermarket in London.
Turmeric has multiple anti cancer benefits so if you are currently dealing with cancer or just want to help prevent it then this is a fantastic way to include turmeric in your daily diet! It’s important to check with your doctor if there are any dietary restriction associated with your specific condition. However, there are so many ways to include turmeric into your diet, we will definitely find a way to suit you! Lots more to come on health food honey so check back soon!
I love the warming spice of this porridge, you get the sweetness from the rice milk which combines beautifully with the turmeric and cinnamon. Cinnamon is not to be underestimated either with its anti inflammatory, blood sugar lowering, candida reducing, cholesterol lowering properties.
So go ahead guys and enjoy this super healthy sprouted oats breakfast and get that halloween theme in full swing. Go on, don’t be scared! 😉
- a small cup of sprouted gluten free porridge oats (about 60g)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup filtered water (same cup you used for the oats)
- 2 cup rice milk (same cup as you used for the oats)
- a big handful of mixed berries
- 1 tbsp of unsulphured black strap molasses
- Place the oats, turmeric and cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a pan and mix together, then add 1cup of filtered water and 1 cup of rice milk and bring to a boil and simmer for 10-12minutes gradually adding in the second cup of rice milk until the most of the water has cooked down and the oats have puffed up nicely.
- Transfer the oats to your favourite bowl and the add the frozen berries to one side and serve.
- If you want to make the truly gruesome version then warm the berries in a separate pan for about a minute, stirring continuously. Then add these to the porridge and drizzle over the molasses (as best you can - its pretty thick!)